Are you looking for another holiday that you can get behind?
Try National Just Because Day celebrated in 2022 on August 27.
Originating in the late 1950s, Joseph J. Goodwin of Los Gatos, California, turned the gift of a transistor radio for his wife into their family holiday. The radio was not important for the Goodwins. It was the idea of “celebrating life, free afternoons and family,” according to an origin website. Embracing the spontaneity of life was the takeaway.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
People are encouraged to live the Golden Rule on this day. On this day, it is also encouraged to march to the beat of your own beat and embrace the uniqueness of others. Starbucks launched its pay-it-forward campaigns in 2014, and don’t you remember when planking was all the rage?
Here are some ways to honor the intent of National Just Because Day by being spontaneous or by just being you:
- Cover someone’s tab or bill.
- Give compliments like it’s going out of business.
- Send a thank you note or many.
- Take a nap, and don’t set the alarm.
- Have dessert before the main course.
- Eat cake for breakfast.
- Shake up your workout routine.
- Write a book review and post it.
- Publicly acknowledge someone you admire on social.
- Take a couple of hours off work for a self-care moment (if you have the time, of course).
- Volunteer and help strengthen your community.
- Leave flowers on your neighbor’s porch.
- While driving, let other drivers in.
- Record and post that TikTok video.
- Text a friend who has not heard from you in a while.
So, throw logic out of the window and have a Just Because Day on August 27, 2022.
Follow Glint Advertising on social media to see how we do the unexpected and keep life interesting.